June 2014: Naturland News International
Volume I of Naturland News International 2014 is online! Read on twentfour pages the news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The June 2014 issue includes the following topics:
- IGW – Naturland at the world largest food and agricultural trade fair
- Naturland presents comprehensive organic data bank
- “Fair comes close – worldwide” at the BioFach 2014
- Meat Atlas 2014 – facts and figures about the animals we eat
- LOA meets at international Naturland member
- We are grieving for Romeo Robles Capalla
- TTIP - That’s not what we would call partnership!
- Wake up! – The United Nations calls for a rethinking of Agriculture
- International delegates visiting in Germany
- Coffee rust – background and strategies
- Sustainable coffee growing in times of changing climate
- Maple syrup certified by Naturland
- Controlling Malaria and protecting livelihoods of farmers
- Naturland Rooibos Tea and Honeybush Tea from South Africa
- Chia – super-seed in Naturland quality
- Preserve world of values and drive innovation - Interview with Fritz und Felix Bläuel
(pdf-file 4,4 MB)
November 2013: Naturland News International
Volume I of Naturland News International 2013 is online! Read on twentfour pages the news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The November 2013 issue includes the following topics:
- Short report on the BioFach
- World Advisory Board meets in Graefelfing
- Naturland welcomes the Leading Organic Alliance to Munich
- The organic industry meets the organic prince
- Book review „Food Crash“
- Gambling with Food
- Campaign "Organic + Fair": Giving smallholders a voice
- Fair trade: Naturland in Ecuador
- Public funds for public services - The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP)
- dwp - 25 Years of Fair Trade in Ravensburg
- Revision of Naturland standards
- Naturland wild fish project successful – reinforcement at Lake Victoria
- Sustainable fishery in the Maldives
- Aquaculture: Organic versus ASC
- First Irish mussels to be certified by Naturland
- Sea and inshore fishing and fish wholesalers
- Fish show allergic reactions to genetically engineered feed
- Coffee by "Pro Natur" – sensuous seduction from Peru
- Interview with Jan Bernhard
- Organic Rooibos – of benefit to both mankind and nature
- "Naturland Fair" creates new synergies
August 2012: Naturland News International
Naturland News International 2012 is online! Read on sixteen pages the latest news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The August 2012 issue includes the following topics:
- Naturland out in force at BioFach 2012
- 4. International Members` Meeting
- Colombia favours sustainability
- Organic agriculture in India
- Members of Naturland in South India
- Equivalence agreement for organic products concluded between EU and USA
- Naturland Standards revised
- 2. World Conference on Organic Beekeeping
- GMOs pose a threat to Mexican beekeepers
- Organic beekeeping – requirements made of certification procedures
- Peermade Development Society (PDS)
December 2011: Naturland News International
Volume II of Naturland News International 2011 is online! Read on twelve pages the latest news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The December 2011 issue includes the following topics:
- Three new international delegates elected
- First meeting of world advisory board
- BioFach USA – Naturland represented for the first time
- IFOAM – World Board newly elected
- Amendments to standards - new version 05/2011
- First fish meal factories certified by Naturland
- gricultural genetic engineering – keep fighting
- Organic self-sufficient crop growers in Mexico
- Cocoa from El Ceibo – sweet temptation from Bolivia
Click here for download of Naturland News International! (pdf-file 2 MB)
May 2011: Naturland News International
Volume I of Naturland News International 2011 is online! Read on sixteen pages the latest news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The May 2011 issue includes the following topics:
• BioFach 2011
We are stewards of the soil
Have fun helping
Press conference “Naturland Fair”
International Meeting of Naturland Members
• Boston Seafood Show 2011
Naturland was with a booth and experts on the ground
• Founding of the Leading Organic Alliance
• Professional Information
Sustainability starts with the soil
How to improve soil fertility
Progress report LaSelva
• Wechsler Feinfisch - Pioneer in organic fishery with Naturland
Click here for download of Naturland News International! (pdf-file 3 MB)
August 2010: Naturland News International
Volume II of Naturland News International 2010 is online! Read on twelve pages the latest news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The August 2010 issue includes the following topics:
• Interview with Carmen Leon from COCLA
• Mango Workshop in Mexico
• Naturland at the European Seafood Exposition 2010
• Naturland standards amended
• Organic and fair - more food for all!
• Organic agriculture - good for the climate!
• Übelhör - global entrpreneurs
• COCLA - outstanding Arabica coffee from Perú
April 2010: Naturland News International
Volume I of Naturland News International 2010 is online! Read on twelve pages the latest news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The April 2010 issue includes the following topics:
• BioFach 2010 - a resounding success
• Naturland assembly of delegates: Interview with Gabriel Lyatuu
• Symposium on organic aquaculture in South Korea
• Organic animal husbandry in Paraguay
• Certification from one source: organic - social - fair
• The Fair Trade cooperative dwp eG: The Best for Everyone
• 30th anniversary: LaSelva
• Terra Bio - the co-operative in Italy´s bread basket
December 2009: Naturland News International
Volume III of Naturland News International 2009 is online! Read on eight pages the latest news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The December 2009 issue includes the following topics:
• Members´assembly in Mexico
• Climate protection: looking for best practice examples
• Organic animal husbandry: training session for Mexican inspectors
• Survey confirms: „Organic + Fair Trade – can feed the world!”
• Reforestation of mangroves on shrimp farms in Ecuador
• Teekampagne: Naturland Partners & direct importer of Darjeeling Tea
• Medicinal herbs and essential oils from the land of the Pharaohs
September 2009: Naturland News International
Volume II of Naturland News International 2009 is online!
Read on twelve pages the latest news of Naturland and its partner organizations:
The September 2009 issue includes the following topics:
- Naturland Standards Changed
- Naturland Vision Statement Adopted
- Naturland Wild Fish: Pilot Project
- General Assembly in Ecuador
- Study „Organic Aquaculture 2009“
- Adoption of Aquaculture into the EU Organic Regulation
- GMO-Free European Regions - Conference in Italy
- Organic Coffee Production: Economic & Ecological Advantages
- Organic + Fair BioFach 2010
- GEPA: strong partner of Naturland
- The Honey Cooperative “Apicultores Mayas de Maní”
May 2009: Naturland News International
The Naturland News International in a new look:
Layout and the introduction of categories the News gives useful information for members, processors and other interested persons.
- News about Naturland
- Professional Information
- Market Information
- Member´s Forum
Following topics can be read in May 2009 issue:
- New Naturland guidelines for organic textiles
- Visit of Naturland members in Sri Lanka & India
- Lasting impression from a visit to Peru
- International members’ meeting at the BioFach 2009
- Agro-genetic enginieering in general and taking Mexico as an example
- Manual “Specialised Organic Retail Report Europe 2008“
- Global Organic Agriculture 2008 - Continued Growth
- Report of a model salmon farm on the Shetland Islands
...and a good deal more!
Organic. Social. Fair.
Certification from one source
Naturland established new norms in 2005 with its social standards. Now its assembly of delegates has erected a third pillar of sustainability to provide added support to our organic association´s holistic concept:
As of now, German and international partners can apply for certification to Naturland fair trade standards in the course of their annual organic inspection, which will save them both time and money.
Organic. Social. Fair. - Trading Values for those who care!
Flyer Naturland activities worldwide (overview)
Naturland is one of the largest organic associations and
has established a highly efficient international network.
Wherever you are, in Europe, Africa, Asia or Latin
America, be it as a grower, processor or trader in organic products - we can offer you a competent and reliable range of services.
For more information please go to:
Organic fish for bon vivants
Meanwhile well sorted organic shops offer a large pallet of Naturland certified fish and sea fruits: whether native carps and trouts, Shrimps from Ecuador or salmon from Atlantic sea areas, the ecologically conscious bon vivants come on its taste.
For consumers which want to be better informed, Naturland has launched a new flyer. Briefly in summary and understandably prepared the brochure offers an interesting view of the ecological aquaculture:
Naturland – the hallmark of organic coffee
The world-wide cultivation of organic coffee increased meanwhile to 100.000 tons per year. Approximately a third of it carries the Naturland logo, which has been signalizing highest organic quality to the consumer for more than 25 years. Naturland is one of the largest and most important organic coffee certifiers world-wide.
The actual brochure informs producers, roasters, processing plants and importers about the increase in value of Naturland certified coffee.
Naturland Zeichen GmbH
The Naturland Zeichen GmbH is responsible for the assignment and licensing of the natural land logo and secure the Naturland partners, the benefits of Naturland logo.
Biological Control of Coffee Berry Borer
Naturland conducted a survey on how Naturland coffee farmers control the most important coffee pest, the coffee berry borer. Organic coffee growers do control mainly by biological and cultural control. Biological control is mainly conducted by using Beauveria bassiana.
Biological Control of Coffee Berry Borer in Organic Coffee (pdf-file, 249 kB)
Costs of external inspections of smallholder organisations
Naturland conducted a survey on how much its Latin America members spend on their external inspection. The internal inspection system considerably reduces the costs for external inspections. Naturland farmers spent on average 8.7 USD for external inspections.
Organic Farming in the Tropics and Subtropics
Naturland published with the financial support of the German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ) the cultivation guidelines for 20 crops in the tropics and subtropics.
Guidelines of the following crops are available:
Gräfelfinger Papers: Sustainability and Farming
In the Graefelfing Papers Naturland focus on vital ecological topics and are supported by environmental associations. The Graefelfing Papers „Sustainability and Organic Farming“ were the basis for the symposium Sustainability and Organic Farming in Sept. 2002.
Guidelines for organic bee-keepers
The working guide explains how bee-keepers qualify for Naturland certification.
Manual for Internal Control Systems (ICS)
It is a standard work to all who are dealing with internal control systems.
The manual explains the Naturland certification system for smallholder organizations, and describes each step to be taken on the way to implement an internal control system (ICS).
Minimum requirements for group certification
The Minimum requirements for setting up an Internal Control System were derived from the IFOAM Guidance Manual for Producer Groups. They describe the criteria of each essential component of Internal Control Systems that have to be implemented for organic certification.
Organic Farming in Developing Countries
The development cooperation organisations MISEREOR and EED, the environmental associations NABU and WWF and the association for organic agriculture Naturland have published the jointly realised study “Organic agriculture- a contribution to sustainable poverty reduction in developing countries? The organisations agree upon that organic agriculture is a real alternative to small-scale farmers and their families in the South.
Recommendations for Inspections of Social Standards
Tools and Methodologies for Implementation of Chapter 8 on Social Justice of the IFOAM Basic Standards. The guidance document gives an overview of auditor skills and social audit methodology. The IFOAM checklist for inspection of social standards exemplifies the score system in the inspection of social standards.
Authors: Manfred Fürst, Jorge Casale & Birgit Wilhelm
Editor: International Federation of Organic Agricultural Movements